Dear Outright Family,
When I started at Outright in 2010, there were 25 GSAs, we offered Friday Night Group here in Burlington only, the Queer and Allied Youth Summit was a day long affair, and we worked exclusively with youth.
Over these last seven years, with your support, Outright now:
- Works with over 70 GSAs statewide;
- Hosts Friday Night Group regularly in Burlington, Brattleboro, and Montpelier, with more locations coming soon;
- Hosts a 24 hour Queer and Allied Youth Summit that moves around the state as well as an annual Fall GSA Conference;
- Works with youth under 13, their families, and adults working with youth in school and community settings to make sure everyone is getting the support they need to make it better for queer and trans youth;
- Works with youth that are survivors of violence and collaboratively works with other service providers to ensure that everyone is doing all they can to meet the needs of queer and trans youth;
- Hosts Camp Outright, in partnership with Common Ground Center. Camp Outright has hosted hundreds of youth and adult volunteers from all over the world for a week of “Queertastic Homotopia!”
I have been so incredibly lucky to work with so many youth, staff, Board members, and community members to make it better for Vermont’s queer and trans youth.
Now it’s time to see what magical things new leadership can bring to this amazing organization. To that end, I’ve resigned my position as Outright’s Executive Director for an opportunity at UVM. My last day in the office will be March 10th. The Board of Directors, along with the Outright staff, are the most dedicated and capable crew around, and they will ensure that Outright continues to make it better now for queer and trans youth during this leadership transition.
I am not going far, and I can’t wait to support Outright in a new capacity as a donor, volunteer, parent, and all around queerleader. Thank you for all your support, feedback, ideas, and love over these last seven years. I am so, so grateful.
There will be an informal Goodbye Party in the Youth Space at Outright on March 9th at 5pm and a more formal celebration as part of the Outright Awards on April 21st. Information on Outright’s hiring process will be posted soon.
In solidarity and with tremendous appreciation,