Melissa Murray, Executive Director
Melissa Murray is a queer mama and a social justice activist. She has worked in a variety of social justice movements, including anti-violence, racial justice, reproductive health, and queer rights. In Ohio, she worked with LGBTQ students at the Ohio State University, and provided sober support to queer women in recovery. Melissa holds a BA in Women’s Studies and a Masters in Social Work, both from the Ohio State University. Outside of work, Melissa is an avid hiker and climber and loves exploring Vermont. Melissa is excited to bring her talents to Outright Vermont to work with and on behalf of queer youth.
Contact Melissa at email@example.com
Five fun facts about Melissa:
- I have three hilarious children.
- I have climbed eleven mountains in the last year and look forward to more mountain climbing this summer.
- I am terrified of bees. Know what that phobia is called? Melissophobia.
- I can read a book in a day if I like it well enough (no matter how long it is). Favorite book? Probably Harry Potter (all of them).
- It would take me more than a month to listen to all the songs on my iPod. Best Album of all time? 69 Love Songs by the Magnetic Fields.
Micah Barritt, Director of Programs
Preferred Pronouns: He/They
After living outside of Vermont for 12 years, Micah moved back to his hometown and joined the Outright family. Micah grew up in Burlington and studied studio art at Smith College. He has spent the past four years working in elementary schools in Oakland, CA and Portland, OR. You can find Micah in the youth drop-in space, at Friday Night group, or working hard to plan next year’s Camp Outright with the Common Ground Center. When not at Outright, Micah is usually riding his bike (while wearing a helmet, of course!), playing sports, or reading a young adult novel.
Five Fun Facts – Micah
- I play ice hockey.
- In the past 5 years I have ridden over 15,000 miles on my bicycle.
- I have a list of 40 things I want to do by the time I’m 40. Some are big, like: build a house. And some are silly, such as: wear a disguise so good it fools someone who knows me or touch the bottom of an elephant’s foot.
- If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, I would choose sandwiches.
- I love to sew. Animal costumes are my specialty.
Micah can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dana Kaplan, Director of Education
Five Fun Facts – Dana…
- I have a twin brother (Yes, I am older. By 2.5 minutes. Yes, he is also queer)!
- I like to ferment foods. If I ever started a business, I decided I’d call it “pickled pink”
- I play in an indie pop band that’s toured internationally and released 4 albums, but I’ve never actually thought of myself as a musician.
- In my free time, I like to give hair cuts. I’m good at table tennis. I like to make my bed every morning. I’m told I’m a phenomenal driver… on both sides of the road! And, I can be a rule-follower, but I prefer to stretch them when I can.
- I’d rather go up a mountain than go down it.
Dana can be reached at email@example.com