Annual Fire Truck Pull
Know all you need to know?
Registration info will be posted soon.
Need some more info? Check out the following FAQs:
1. Watch last year’s event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K9EtV8KlJQ&feature=youtu.be
2. This is a fundraiser!! for Outright Vermont (us!) and our anti-bullying work around the state of Vermont.
Since 1989, we have worked to provide safety and support for LGBTQQ youth, helped make schools safer, and focused on youth empowerment, leadership, and advocacy. In 2014, the pull raised $25,000 for Vermont’s queer youth and we hope to smash that record this year.
More info on fundraising & tips further in this list.
3. This is also a competition!
Teams compete for the coveted Golden Fire Truck Trophies. Prizes are awarded for:
- “Best Dressed” [costumes, themes, etc.]
- “Most Funds Raised (both team and individual)”
- “Fastest Pull Time”
- “Audience Choice” [so bring a cheering section!]
4. What does one wear to a Fire Truck Pull?
5. This is a huge public event!
We have a DJ/MC, celebrity Vermont judges, and usually a few hundred people stopping to watch you pull the truck. Be prepared to wrangle your team (among the 10+ other teams) and meet us on the second block of Church Street.
6. How many people on a team?
Each team gets 12 spots for pullers – and trust us, you need every single one. We recommend recruiting:
- at least one really strong “anchor” to be at the end of the rope,
- a “caller/cheerleader” to help motivate the team, count down to pull, and otherwise pump you up,
- fairly fit other teammates (this is a real fire truck) to help pull the truck (this is all ages, but you do need a certain amount of muscle to move the truck!)
7. How much money is your team supposed to raise to pull?
We ask that each team aim for $1,500 as the minimum to compete – that is $125 for each team member to raise.
Need some tips on how to raise money? Check out our top ten tips here.
8. How can you recruit teammates?
We recommend making a list of your friends, co-workers, and other social circles of folks who are into creative, fun, team-building kind of events. Then, write up a few reasons why YOU want to make this team happen, why you support Outright VT’s work, and why your team is going to bring home the trophies!
9. Ok! Ready to start a team or join one?
Please visit: http://www.firstgiving.com/OutrightVT/11th-outright-vermont-fire-truck-pull
10. Question not answered? Talk to a real human at our office:
If you are interested in participating, but don’t have a team (or enough people for a team), just let Melissa Murray, the Chief of the Fire Truck Pull event know and she will get you on a team. email: melissa[at]outrightvt.org or call the Outright VT office 802-865-9677 ext. 0